CAT HATHOME
PEACE PIRATES BLOG
peace pirate rainbow

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Cat Hat Creatrix is retiring!


About 10 years ago, I created my first Cat Hat.  I had been sewing star-shaped dolls using cotton velour and decided to cut up an old pair of orange bell bottoms for the occasion.  My then toddler daughter put  a leg of the pants on her head and I was inspired to make a hat, with ears that had little jingle bells inside.  
The hat was too big for her, so I wore it.  Not long after, a friend asked if I would make another hat for her friend who was going through chemotherapy.  I had a few other similar commissions and started thinking about the cat as an animal ally for someone on a journey with a life-threatening illness.  Cats are said to have 9 lives and always land on their feet.  The hats had also become quite popular with the kids in the Waldorf School where I was teaching at the time.  
So, I decided to supplement my income with a side project of Cat Hat production.  I made a little storybook tag for the hats and, wanting to remain anonymous, named myself Magic Mama in the story.  I donated 5% of sales to a Women's Cancer Relief Fund (NOT Research, mind you - this money went directly to women who needed it, not pharmaceutical companies).  As I began performing my music in public, often wearing a Cat Hat (good advertising to wear your product) the image of the Cat Hat and the name Magic Mama stuck.

Now, 10 or so years later, I'm tired of making these hats and it has become rather trendy to wear hats with ears, which means they are available everywhere for cheap made-in-China prices.  Handmade in the USA can't compete with that!  Also, I'm working on my third music album and trying to break out of the pigeon hole of being "ONLY" a children's musician.  So, I'm retiring as the Cat Hat Creatrix, still performing family-friendly eco-groovy music as Magic Mama and adopting another stage name: Renegade Spade.  Any musician who performs with me becomes an honorary member of The Farm Punks.  
We're putting together a live recording of 5 more songs this month and will be releasing a compilation of these along with some live radio recordings just in time for Spring.

In the meantime, I am offering up the last of my Cat Hats as a FUNdRaiser to help with the recording expenses.  Following are pictures of every last hat.  If you want one of these collectors items - make a donation of $35 or more here on my website and include a note describing the hat of your choice.  There are 2 sizes - Kitty Cat is the size my 11 year old daughter and I both wear.  Cutie Cats are for little kids.  Color names and sizes are below each picture.

Kitty Cat Fleece - Brown Leopard, Tan Leopard, Red 
 Kitty Cat Velour - Silver and Olive

 Kitty Cat Velour - Cream and Lavender
 Kitty Cat Velour - Red Stripe and Black

 Kitty Cat Velour - Blue Stripe and Orange
 Cutie Cat Velour - Silver, Pewter, Black
 Cutie Cat Velour - Orange
 Cutie Cat Velour - Red Stripe
 Cutie Cat - Velour Cream and Fleece Red
 Cutie Cat Fleece - Brown Leopard
 Cutie Cat Velour - Olive
 Cutie Cat Velour - Green Stripe
 Cutie Cat Velour - Pink

They may be odd, but they're stacked in our favor!

"Ear to Ear, Cat Hats Spread Smiles!"



Magic Mama is an Eco-Edu-tainer who performs Organic Hip Hop & World Beats for all ages. Through her music, Magic Mama delivers an empowering and hope-filled message of love and respect for all and inspires creative thinking and Earth-friendly actions.
© Magic Mama Music, LLC   •   Web Development by Zumavi Design